20090325

Friday February 9, 1973

Awoke at 7.30. The weather has taken a turn for the better and the dullness of yesterday is gone. The sun came out, filtering through the clouds at 8 o'clock. Caught the 8.30 bus to school. I was witness at 9 to a truly remarkable incident. Groves walked into the common room where Irene and Margaret Edwards were having a quiet game of snooker and he said to Irene: "sorry, but that was the last shot". He then confiscated the cues. We reactionaries began applauding this worthy action by Groves - however the majority of students were narked. At 9.30 he was back in the common room lecturing us on the vices and general bad behaviour of the 6th form - very appropriately it began to snow. In the third lesson we re-arranged the study booths creating an atmosphere of work about the place. It was rather successful. At lunchtime I sat in the new study area with June. Cowie was also there working busily. Dave and I went once again to the chippie. I am determined that someone else should go next Wednesday. I think it's about time that Chid had a turn, the lazy sod. At 2pm Groves and I went down to Guiseley to collect the OAPs for Christine's little rave-up in the Further Education block. The first we picked up lived in great splendour on Tranmere Park. Groves was fuming and was embarrassed by his filthy car. We then collected a further two from St Oswald's Terrace. I helped an old lady down the garden path and into the car. Bloody hell, he had no room for me in the car and so Groves told me to walk in the direction of Rawdon and that he would pick me up after taking the old folk to school.
I walked all the way back to Benton Park in 25 minutes. Groves was frantic with apologies saying that I would probably hold a grudge against him forever. I did Biology until 4.
June and I walked down to the traffic lights at 4.35. My bus passed me on the way down. June said she would wait with me until the next one came along - 30 minutes later. Her buses run every ten minutes. We agreed to meet at the Emmotts at 8 on Sunday. I hated the moment when my bus arrived. I waved at her from the rear window until I turnedf the corner at Benton Park.
After tea Dad and Mum gave me a lift down to the Chuck Wagon. Lynn and Susan were spending the night at the Saxton residence on Silverdale, and John was watching the telly at home. It was very quiet until 10.30 when the place suddenly filled up with all the drunks from the White Cross pub over the road. Sue (Riley) retired as usual at 11.30 with a book and a couple of beers. Toffer and I sat around until 1am. I arrived home at 1.30. Everyone was in bed. My supper consisted of two boiled eggs and toast. I came to bed at 2am.
Tomorrow will most likely be another busy night at the Chuck Wagon, but what is even worse, Pauline - or "The Mouth" -will be there. I can hardly wait for Sunday. Two whole days without seeing June is unbearable. The thought of going to college in September is too horrid for words.
June and I keep kidding each other about Peter Hurst and Janet Roots. But we grow more and more to like each other every day. Besides, old Ivy would be most upset if she did not see us a couple of times a week...

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday April 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds 11 My 29th birthday. Up at 7 feeling awful. Sitting in bed Ally gave me a pink and blue tie and a card with a frog on ...