20090327

Friday March 2, 1973

Got up at 7.35. Not at all nervous about my coming interview at Middleton St George. In fact I've grown quite accustomed to having these interviews now. Put on my interview suit, and got a lift into Guiseley with Mum and Dad at 9. I boarded the 55 bus and got into Leeds for 9.50. Looked into a few shops and went to the station at 10.30. My ticket to Darlington cost £1.55. The train left for York at 11.15. Changed at York at 11.55 and got into Darlington at 12.55. My first impression of the college was not a good one. In fact I had doubts I'd come to the right place. The college dates from 1970 and was previously a RAF camp - it still looks like one. What else could it be situated slap bang in the middle of Teesside airport. We began at about 2. The interviewees were separated into 2 groups. Half going to interviews and the other half doing a written test. I started with the test. What a stinker! It lasted 45 minutes. My first interview lasted 35 minutes and was conducted by some sort of college idiot - a decent bloke really. We got talking about family histories and went into length about the Wilson family. He seemed to enjoy it. My second interview was with the head of the History department - a fidgetty, intent, little Welsh chap. He also went on about family history and suggested me doing it for a project if I was accepted at the college. I left at 4.25 and caught a train back to Darlington. After chopping and changing I arrived in Leeds at 6.20. I rang Mum and told her to ring Sue and Toffer to let them know I'd be late. I got home at 7.30. Auntie Hilda, Uncle Tony, Karen, Jill and Diane arrived simultaneously. I had my dinner and Uncle T kindly gave me a lift to the Chuck Wagon at 8.
I have never known it to be so busy. Sue R was almost crying with the deluge of orders which Toffer kept bringing in. On adding up the orders at the end Sue said that they had taken £60 in the one night! You can imagine how I felt at 12.30 - up to my eyes in dirty, greasy dinner plates. At about 1am we all collapsed into the empty restaurant and drank off our exhaustion. Worthington hasn't half grown since our last meeting - his legs especially. Toffer brought me home. Mum and Dad had only just gone to bed. The Gadsbys had left at 12.45. I was utterly exhausted after chasing round all day. To bed.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...