20090312

Monday January 22, 1973

The main subject of discussion at school today was the amusing events of Fridays drunken engagement party. To my amazement Janet says she caught to bus to Horsforth. It seems I am madly in love with June. But I'm not the only one, or so it seems. Dave, Steve Tate, Peter Hurst, Michael Stott, and many more have fallen under her bewitching spell. I would love to know whether she fancies me...the competition gives me an even greater urge to succeed in capturing her beautiful heart.
It was announced on the late night news several minutes ago that Lyndon Johnson, former president of the United States 1963-69 has died from a heart attack. No doubt the mess in Vietnam added a couple of decades to his life. He has looked 90 since 1966. He was only 64.

--

1 comment:

  1. It was 1972, I was 16 and now 38 years later I still retain a clear image in my mind of my first acquaintance with June - I was walking with other students along a corridor in the main building at Benton Park towards our next class. As we approached our classroom the preceding class were making their way out the same door and so it was a girl with beautiful long black hair turned and looked directly at me. “She smiled and said hello as if she knew me” and even though we were not acquainted. Nor could I recall having seen her before. …Yet in that moment when June smiled she took my breath away, …I was smitten there and then and lost in love with her for far longer than I care to say.

    Some time after I came to realise June was the sister that Susan Bottomley had mentioned to me. …Susan and I had sat opposite each other in Technical Drawing classes in 1972.

    Whereas I had seemed able to talk to Susan a bit, I had been so quickly, so gloriously enamoured with June she always stunned all my brain cells and so it was I usually could not utter a single coherent word to her. …We had often smiled at each other and I would usually just about manage hello before losing all intelligent speech. Into the bargain as soon as June was near my heart would automatically elevate to something in the order of 400beats a minute and my legs turned to jelly.

    …On this note if I should perchance one day make it to an audience at the Pearly Gates I shall nevertheless still wish to make a strong complaint to the management about the aforementioned deficiency in the 1956 vintage PeteH…. model which in my experience has far too often been faint of heart in the presence of the prettiest ladies.

    In the end I think June and I had simply smiled at each other on very many occasions over the course of about 12 months in 1972/73, meanwhile I had without a doubt pulled some truly bizarre stunts to try and impress her and keep her smiling at me.

    ReplyDelete

Thursday April 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds 11 My 29th birthday. Up at 7 feeling awful. Sitting in bed Ally gave me a pink and blue tie and a card with a frog on ...