20090326

Saturday February 24, 1973

Mum got me up at 10.30. My interviews in Leeds. Set off at 11 but Mr Rawnsley gave me a lift into Guiseley, and then made my way to the train station - my Leeds train came at 11.15. My first interview with a Miss Cook at Debenham's was quite satisfactory - it lasted 20 minutes. She gave me an application form and told me to come back in July. I spent the next 2 and a half hours walking round Leeds. The large indoor market and the many pedestrian precincts are a lot better than the traffic filled streets. Bought some sandwiches and ate them in the park.I then went to look at the parish church where my great-grandfather, John Rhodes married Christiana Ross in 1890. Quite an elaborate pile.

2nd interview was not quite satisfactory. She said I would need "O" Level Maths before they would accept me. That's out for a start! The afternoon seemed such a drag and I was on the Ilkley train at 4.30.

Once again I was almost starving to death on my arrival home. I ate a large dinner whilst Mum sat by demanding to know the results of my interviews. I told her that they had hardly been successful.

It was on the news tonight, the headlines to be precise, that Marion, Countess of Harewood, who was divorced from the Queen's cousin in 1967, is to wed the Liberal leader Jeremy Thorpe, whose 1st wife died in 1970. They seem to make a nice couple. However, Lord Harewood has fallen from Royal favour since his re-marriage in 1967 to Patricia Tuckwell, whom Dad always calls "Miss Barnworthy" for some unknown reason. Old Harewood had a son to Miss Tuckwell back in 1964 - they very year before his late mother the Princess Royal died. I wonder if she knew? H must certainly be an embarrassment to the Queen.

Went down to the Chuck Wagon at 7. Pauline has refrained from her usual course of making passes at me. She remains a spinster, and talks even more. Toffer threatens to gag her one of these days. I was home by 1.15. Strange for Saturday nights. Came to bed 2.15.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...