20090325

Sunday February 18, 1973

Septuagesima. Got up at 11 o'clock again. I sat around until lunchtime in my dressing gown type of thing. Very luxurious. Mum and I had a set-to. She called me a "brainless idiot" simply because I complained about lack of finances and clothes. She also said I was a "snob" for suggesting having two separate 18th birthday parties - one for family and one for friends. She must have got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. The family went to Pudsey at 3.30 - leaving me alone to scrounge around for my own tea. The afternoon didn't half drag. I had a bath and washed my hair - which incidentally Mum says needs cutting.
Left for the Emmotts at 7.30. The bus came at 8 and I was sitting next to June Margaret Bottomley at 8.30. I was shocked beyond belief when I met Chris outside the pub. He tells me outright that he intends to finish with Louise! He's bored with her after 5 weeks! He sat with us until he finally plucked up the courage to go to her (who was sitting with Dave at the opposite side of the pub) but by 10 o'clock they had made up and were smooching in usual Chris and Louise style. I had £1 with me but I only had 2 pints of Sovereign bitter. I enjoyed it tremendously. Chris asked June how long we had been going out. She said it was three weeks on Thursday, but I would have dated it from January 29, but on that date we never even kissed, which makes her claim much more sound. Linda, Cowie and Janet all left at 10.15. Poor Linda is having to work in the morning, while we all have the first day of our half-term. June and I intended sitting on our own for a chat but sadly that was not to be. Keith Harrison, an ex-boyfriend of June's twin sister Susan, came across to talk to June. Ian Appleyard was also in. I suddenly realised that he might tell his sister Margaret, who works with Mum, that he has seen me. So if I don't tell Mum where I have been - all Hell will break loose. I eventually dragged June out at twenty to eleven, and we walked down the lane with linked arms. We sat on the seat at the bottom. She was touched to see her ring on a chain around my neck.
We almost let her 33 bus sail past at 11 but chased after it. She left safely for Horsforth. I got a 35 Bus at Benton Park, and arrived home at 11.35. Mum, Dad, John, Lynn and Sue were at home and had been since 9.30. Dad had gone to work on nights. Auntie H had sent a box of goodies for her favourite nephew for my own consumption. I devoured about a third of them before retiring to bed.
It was on the news today that Princess Anne is ill in Ethiopia following some sort of trek over the mountains - she cancelled todays engagements. For the minute I thought the nasty little Russians had poisoned her. She seems to have lots of stomach problems. The operation last year worried many people. Mum wondered whether it will affect her ability to have children. An overian cyst must be very dangerous.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday April 1, 1984

 4th Sunday in Lent Mothering Sunday New Moon Sunny, bright, &c. Smothering Sunday. All Fool's Day. Busy. Rob came and so too did th...