20090326

Sunday February 25, 1973

Sexagesima. Got up at 11. Dad gave me the news that the police were planning to raid the Yarnbury and possibly the Emmott Arms tonight - a purge against under-age drinkers. You can imagine the seriousness of the plight I found myself in. What would become of the usual mob if the cops caught them all boozing under age?

Did some homework and had a bath taking me up to teatime. I decided to ring Dave and warn him of the ensuing danger. However, Mum was baking in the kitchen, which made my conversation with Dave very difficult. Mum would have killed me if she had realised that I was divulging police information - Dad would also be in serious trouble if the bosses found out about such a leak. I did manage to tell Dave and he then rang Chris to warn him. I now felt at ease with my conscience. What is the point in allowing people to fall into a trap and commit crime? I was only preventing crime by leaking the information. This "Cloak and Dagger" routine went on until 9 when I arrived at the Emmotts to rescue, June, Linda and Cowie. Previously to this I had been down to see Dave who was doing homework in his bedroom.

On arriving at the Emmotts I rescued them all and we immediately set off on a wild-goosechase around Rawdon. It was extremely cold for walking, but at least it was dry. We went to Rawdon park to play on the swings. Sadly, the Council have removed the swings, so we piled onto a roundabout. After a walk across the park - in the shadow of the big Victorian council offices -June was quite frightened at the spookiness of the place and the darkness. We went into the Off Licence - Linda & I bought 2 packets of marshmallows - she toasted them with her cigarette lighter. June and I also bought Cadbury's Creme Eggs. At 10.15 we all sat in the bus shelter at Rawdon traffic lights. Linda's passion - Andy Graham - passed by arm in arm with Lynda Smith. Chris was with a plain looking girl. He seems lost without Louise - they really should make some attempt to get back together. Dave says they want to do but both are waiting for the other to make the first move. Tomorrow June and I have been going out for 4 weeks. I sneaked my first kiss some time ago, at the school Christmas party on Dec 14, 1972.

They got the 11 o'clock bus. Cowie and I waited for the last number 33. I got home at 11.30. Dad told me they had not raided the Yarnbury or the Emmotts after all, but had done Ringway instead at Horsforth - where Denise and Chid hang-out.
Came to bed at 12.30.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...