20090325

Thursday February 8, 1973

Got up at 7.50. Caught the 8.33 bus to school. Had such a laugh with Christine and Irene. June came at 9.20. Chris and Louise were having one of their usual tiffs. Sadly, I hear from Linda that she only wants to go out with Cowie as a friend and did not want to become involved with him, or indeed with anyone. Did History until lunchtime. I went down to the shops alone at 12.30, bringing Christine her sandwiches. Dave didn't arrive until 1.30. He'd been to Leeds for his medical for entry into college. He also took his urine sample. I have been joking with him about the size of the bottle to use for weeks. He refused my offer of a large lemondale bottle. Generally a depressing day. The rainy weather and damp atmosphere has only added to everyones misery. Cowie had a face like a wet weekend - hardly surprising really. Chris and Louise are coming into school tonight in order to act as ushers for parents nights when mums and dads from all over Aireborough to find out how "little Tommy" is coping with his mathematics, etc, etc. Chris and Louise are then going up to the Emmotts where June, Cowie and Linda are heading at 8. Arrived home from school at 5.10 - June and I walked down to the bus stop alone in pouring rain. She waited with me until the dreaded number 55 bus came. She is sure the best girl in the whole wide world. Had tea at 5.30 and then caught the 7.33 bus back to Rawdon. June and Linda were already in the seat in the bay window with dear old Ivy Fitton. Cowie came in minutes later and bought me a pint of keg. In the next 2 hours I had 3 whiskies. June and I were sitting next to each other and Ivy kept giving me the get stuck in" nod. Chris, Lousie, Andy Graham and Andy Flesher came in at 9.30 - we all had a cosy hour. Peter Hurst caused a sensation by coming in and then rushing out, only to come belting back in again and leave by the back door! The evening ended on a sad note for Cowie and Linda. At the bus stop Linda finally told C that she would rather be his friend as opposed to girlfriend in the strictest sense of the word. She had a good cry. When June and I tried to investigate L banged her brolly on the bus stop window and screamed at us to go away. J and I ran back to my bus stop where we sat (very romantically) until J's bus came at 11.15. Mine arrived at 11.20. On arriving home I found Uncle Harry cavorting in the kitchen with Mum and Dad. They had fish and chips. I devoured a fish sandwich. Uncle H is so pathetic. I haven't seen him sober since 1971 - he seems happy enough however. He is easily upset by things which bring back nostalgic memories, i.e. the record "Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town" and things like Mum's home-made bread. We all sat listening to my records until 1.30. Uncle H then bedded down on the camp bed in the lounge. I retired to my cosy, yet unmade divan. John was snoring loudly. --==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...