20090326

Thursday March 1, 1973


Our first month together!!! June and I began this historic day by playing several rounds of cheat quite alone in the common room. I won both games much to her annoyance. She says I do it too well. Groves came in and advised us to stop playing cards as one of Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools was coming round - "somehow", said Groves, "the sight of you gambling might not go down too well". June had a busy timetable for the day I didn't see her until lunchtime.

Sadly we finished the History Syllabus today - and the rest is up to us! The 'A' level comes in the second week in June - three short, hard months to go.

Calamity and disaster! A photograph fell from my wallet and into June's hands. Yes, it was one of Barbara, dated February 18, 1971 inscribed: "To Michael. Much Love. Barbara xxx". June wanted to know all the sordid details. I cannot actually recall why we finished going out together - it must have been around the middle of May last year. It would have been a lot better if June had never seen the photo, but what does it matter. It's not as if I'm two timing her.

In the afternoon high farce indeed. Christine Braithwaite set fire to my Economics essay! I told her to be careful but the thing got out of control and the smouldering essay fell to the floor, burning one of the tiles. That's one of the reasons why I voted against a new carpet.

Linda was not at school today. She is preparing for her holiday tomorrow - she's going to Spain for 5 days. Lucky kid!

We had our usual bus stop liaison, and you've guessed it .....Cadbury creme eggs. My bus came early. Rushed home and had dinner then climbed into the bath and washed my hair. Was suitably spruced up for 7.15 when I set off back to Rawdon. Just June and I at the Emmotts. I arrived at 7.50 and she at 8.10. A quiet night. Sue Crosby and Liz Peddie came in but only came across to say hello. Saw old Ivy, a sweet old girl, but she ceases to be amusing after the first 2 hours. At 10.30 it was back to the bus stop but Peter Hurst came and so June and I decided to wait for the next No. 55 at 11.20. Very romantic. We walked down to the bottom road and sat on the uncomfortable seat. We kisses farewell. I got the 33 Ilkley bus to Guiseley and was home for midnight. Mum and Dad were watching the Lincoln by-election results. Evidently, Dick Taverne, the Democratic Labour candidate won! He was kicked out of the Labour party in October for placing his loyalties with the pro-Common Market men. I bet Harold Wilson is choked. I had my money on Jonathan Guinness, the Conservative.
(The offending photo of Barbara Woodhead is published above)

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday May 2, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds 11 Mum. To try and keep a journal, run and pub and a baby is asking the impossible. Gone is that old wit and sparkle b...