20090328

Thursday March 8, 1973

God! I have been accepted by Middleton St George College of Education! Mum woke me at 7.50 and this historic news arrived in a letter some 5 minutes after. My heart almost stopped beating when I read the first marvellous sentence. The following hours were ones of absolute euphoria. I rushed impatiently to school where MM and Lousie were the first to congratulate me on my good fortune. When Groves came in he almost had a fit when he saw the brown envelope. He went into 10 minutes of hysteria when he saw the actual contents. The conditions of my entry state that I need the minimum of qualifications, i.e. a pass at History 'A' Level or a pass at Economics 'O' level. June and Dave were thrilled.

In the third lesson June assisted me in constructing my letter of acceptance and also the application for a medical examination. I have never felt quite so relieved. Still euphoric at lunchtime. June and I plan to go to the pictures to see "Tales from the Crypt" After Economics I plan to begin my "Monopoly" essay - but disaster! I ruined Louise's "Harvey" with water. Honestly, fire last Thursday, now water today. What next week? Plague? Pestilence? However, by 4 I had achieved very little and June made me cancel my "Crypt" date for tonight - she is so good about it - insisting on my staying at home to finish Ayling's infernal essay. I had to agree.

We went for the usual buses and 2 Cream Eggs. Had a laugh with Denny and Louise at the bus stop, and I left at 4.45 blowing her a kiss from the rear window. Came home and had tea. Mum and Dad still chuffed about my college acceptance.

On the 5.45 news I see that the bloody IRA have exploded bombs at the Old Bailey and in Trafalgar Square, London. 140 were injured and 1 man died. Good Grief! As if Belfast isn't good enough for them! What will they do next?

Went to do my Economics essay after watching 'Top of the Pops'. June is almost identical to one of the Pan's People dance troup - very glamorous! Everything is so good this month. June must have brought good fortune. Do my Monopoly essay from 7.30 to 11.30. Four sides of notes and 4 sides of essay. Feeling very exhausted. Stagger into the lounge to watch Ludovic Kennedy and 'Midweek'. Came up to bed about 12.15. Very relieved to have finished the Economics.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday April 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds 11 My 29th birthday. Up at 7 feeling awful. Sitting in bed Ally gave me a pink and blue tie and a card with a frog on ...