20090326

Tuesday February 27, 1973

Susan woke me up at 7.45. For the first hour I felt completely dead to the world - and went through breakfast in a complete daze - much to Mum's annoyance. Went down on 8.30 bus. Christine B and I had our usual morning gossip. Also had a chat with Denise for the first time in about a month. The lovely June arrived at about 9.45 - alas, she and Linda were in silly moods for the greater part of the day. For the first two lessons I revised British politics 1945-51 - for the test at 11.45. The test itself was perfect -well, the first bit was. It said: " a. Account for the Labour victory of 1945, and, b. the Labour defeat of 1951." I woffled on for three quarters of an hour - Mrs Lane will no doubt find space to tear it to bits in tomorrow's lesson. June was still off at lunch - she still is cool towards me.

Princess Anne and Lieut. Phillips are "jumping" at the Duke of Beaufort's pad at Badminton. Not sexually of course, but equestrian jumping.

June and I are back on speaking terms by 2.30. She went off for lessons leaving me alone with Louise and Martin V-B. Later, Dave, Christine Chid, Louise and I messed about in the common room until nearly 4. I did manage to fill in my college application forms and get them posted.

Chris was disturbed when he heard I'd been acting the fool with Louise. But he pulled round when he mentioned that Louise had gone in for the young farmers' Dairy Queen Contest - I made the quip: "Cow of the Year 1973" - we all had a good laugh.

June and I both agreed today that we spend far too much time pulling people to bits over one thing or another. It's either Janet Roots, Louise or some unsuspecting fellow scholar - and our derogatgory comments are only growing worse with the passing days. Poor Janet is said to be really upset about what I have said of her in recent weeks - I should have a guilty conscience. I must now make a solemn promise that never again will I say anything nasty about ____ because really she is a nice natured girl. In fact, if it was not for her ugly face I could quite fancy her.

June accompanied me to the bus stop at 4.30 where we stood hand in hand until the dreaded No. 55 bus came. Louise and Denise were with us. Before we parted June promised not to fall out with me tomorrow.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday April 20, 1984

 Good Friday Moorhouse Inn, Leeds In days of old I complained , nay played hell, about the archaic licensing laws on this Holy day. Not now....