20090326

Wednesday February 21, 1973

Dad woke me up at 9 o'clock but I went straight back to sleep & he did not pursue the matter further. Awoke finally at 11. Staggered downstairs and had a cup of coffee, then staggered back up to my room. The weather is beautiful. Sun is shining brightly and the air is fresh and clear. Lynn, Sue and Alison went at 9 to walk to Auntie Hilda's at Pudsey. I have made this trip before and it should take 3 to 4 hours. Finally started on some homework at 11.30.

Chris rang at 12 with the long awaited news that he and Louise had finished. I was shocked to hear that Louise had made the final move because on Sunday Chris was determined to do all the finishing. Evidently someone probably ___, had rung Louise and told her what Chris had said in the Emmotts on Sunday. So L, armed with this information, made the final move.

Dad watched me whilst I made the lunch which consisted of fish fried and batter and crunchy chips - very tasty. Mum came in from work at 1. Lynn phoned at 1.30 to say they had arrived safely at Auntie Hilda's. The weather was perfect for walking.

What could have been a good afternoon was ruined by Dad's stubborness. Mum wanted to go see Auntie Mabel. But Dad dragged her out on an aimless journey around Otley and eventually Mum got sickened off and asked to be taken home. Dad then made me go out driving on the Tranmere estate with him. I hated every minute of it. Somehow the thought of driving really puts me off. He objects to the way I handle the steering wheel, and queries my dodgy corners, etc. Came home for tea at 5.15. I rang Dave L at 6 and he suggests we go to Chris's - the latter feeling depressed following his divorce from Louise. I am relieved at this suggestion. The thought of staying at home all evening is quite depressing.

This week has been too terrible for words without seeing June. As far as I am concerned tomorrow cannot come too quickly.

I set off for Dave's and arrive half an hour later. He and his dad are putting a radio in the car. I waited until 8.15 for them to finish. Mr Lawson gave us a lift to Christopher's. Chris seemed unusually cheerful. We sat round the record player. We played "Raphsody on a theme by Paganini" by Serge Rachmaninov plus his "piano concerto number 2 in c flat minor". The remainder of the evening was dedicated to Tamla Motown, i.e. Diana Ross and the Supremes - the latter always reminds me of the old days with Barbara Woodhead and Shelley Masterson back in '71. Dave especially gets very nostalgic about it. We sat until after 11. Dave suddenly remembered that our bus comes at 11.10. We dived into our coats and fled to Horsforth Town Street. A 33 bus came at 11.25. Chris came past to see us off with DD (his dog).
I arrived home at midnight. Lynn and Sue came in from babysitting ten minutes later. Sue made a cup of coffee and disappeared to bed. Lynn and I shared a pan of baked beans - I made the toast. We discussed things until 12.35. Mum called us up to bed.
Thursday is here at last!!!

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...