20090408

Thursday April 5, 1973

What a day my 18th birthday has been! At 7.35 I went down to breakfast to find several cards and an interesting looking little box. On opening it I find a cheque for £18 from Mum and Dad. No card from Auntie Hilda but a £2 gift voucher from Auntie Mabel and Uncle Jack. Lynn and Sue gave me £3.

At school June gave me a little parcel, but was too embarrassed to stay and watch me open it. It was a Parker pen. How sweet and lovable of her. We kept my birthday a secret until lunchtime when Benita congratulated me in front of a massive and brutal mob. My fate was sealed. That afternoon they (the mob) held me down whilst Louise (Bless her) rubbed eye mascara all over my face. Tim Wallis and Malcolm Thomas then ducked me in the boys sinks. Quite refreshing!
Worse was to come. At 4 o'clock Tim and the lads tied me up with a greasy old tow-rope - which made a mess of my new Oxford bags. They then tried to take me (by carrying) out of the room but June and Christine caused a blockade. After failking to get me out of the window they gave in, and Tim patted me on the back and made a comment about June being very loyal, which was emphasised by her struggle to save me from further humiliations.

On my arrival home I was taken out to an unknown destination, which proved to be the Chuck Wagon. How surprising! It was a really fabulous meal. We were there until 11. Sue and Toffer can certainly keep a secret. The bill came to nearly £20. Not bad for 6 dinners. Mum thought that Sue and Toffer were such nice folk. Sue R tells me she has bought a horse for £300 called Polo. She's over the moon.

Came home at 11 and opened the gancia which nearly blew a hole in the ceiling. Retired to bed at midnight. We have enjoyed the day immensely. My t-bone steak was a perfect sealer to the days chain of surprises.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...