20090420

Tuesday May 29, 1973

Princess Anne and Mark Phillips are engaged! The warning that an important announcement was to be made came on the 6 o'clock news. I was at work when the official bulletin came. It's a surprise to everyone...and after all those denials! No announcement of the wedding date is yet made.

Get up at 10. Mum still feeling unwell. I go to the shops and buy some fish for lunch. We eat when Dad comes home at 2. Read AJP Taylor on Metternich in the afternoon - I begin to feel unwell, but recover by 6 o'clock when I go to the CW. Judy, the American, is still working. Quite a busy evening, but pleasant. Toffer brings me home at 1.10. Sit with the radio listening for the news, because I had not yet heard the announcement from the palace. Then at 2 o'clock on Radio 2 I heard it. Went to bed.

The couple will be on the balcony at Buckingham Palace on Saturday.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday April 1, 1984

 4th Sunday in Lent Mothering Sunday New Moon Sunny, bright, &c. Smothering Sunday. All Fool's Day. Busy. Rob came and so too did th...