20090505

Monday October 15, 1973

Crawl out of my lovely warm bed at 8.10am. Lynn is yelling at me to get up. I stagger downstairs and eat my breakfast wondering where Mother can be. At 8.30 I discover, to my surprise, that she's in bed with some sort of illness - upset tummy. Leave for school on the 9 o'clock 55. The weather is lousy once again and by the time I arrive at school I am rather wet. I sit all day with Christine and Glynnis Margerison - a plain but hilarious girl. In Economics Ayling carries on about people who think that 'the Economist magazine is politically biased.' Poor Pauline Barlow realised he was getting at her. Such a laugh. But the bugger cannot con me. We all know that 'The Economist' is a fascist rag. During the lesson I speak to Miss Helen Taylor (the girl who is crazy about me and I apologise for the change in ink colour). She says that the Wyndham-Logg memoirs are 'very amusing'. I don't know why, but the word amusing immediately prints onto my mind the image of Queen Victoria. 'Amusing' is such a very middle-class word. I would have preferred Miss Taylor to have said 'very funny', or something equally amusing. Later. See tv until 11.30. Bed at a quarter to 12. Arrgghh! Blimey O'Reilly! Chris rang twice. At the second call be brought tidings of a spine-chilling nature.__________________. --==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday April 20, 1984

 Good Friday Moorhouse Inn, Leeds In days of old I complained , nay played hell, about the archaic licensing laws on this Holy day. Not now....