20091005

Friday August 23, 1974

Warm day. Climb out of bed at 10am and have a little breakfast. Susan is the only other member of the clan at home. Play records till after 11 when something possesses me to ring Marita. I do so, and we arrange to meet in Leeds at 12.30. I miss several buses and arrive 15 minutes late. We go to the Wellesley, where she devours a salad sandwich and several lagers, and I a cottage pie and a few pints. She leaves me to return o work at 1.30 after pouring out all her troubles to me about what will happen when MM goes to Sheffield in October. I sit on my own in the Wellesley until 2 before scooting off in search of a hairdresser clutching a pack of twenty cigarettes. Go into WH Smiths to look at a few dirty books & feeling quite intoxicated. Whilst rumaging through ther dirty magazines I feel a sharp poke in the back, swinging round I see dear Sarah standing before me brandishing an umbrella. Quite a surprise. She gets a couple of books and then we go to Whitelocks for a few drinks. Sit talking with her until 3, then she goes for her bus home. I madly search round Leeds for a toilet - six pints of beer becomes quite a torrential possibility after three hours of solid supping. Look around, after relieving myself, for something of interest and end up in Leeds Reference Library looking at peerage books until nearly 5. 

To work where Kathleen asks me whether I'll work Sunday night and have Tuesday off. I say yes. Work uneventful, and feel drowsy from the ale. Go with Tony Kelly to the Wellesley at 9 and return at 9.45. Intend goint to Wikis but Mama rings me to say John is already home by 11.20. Dad's been offered a new job in the CID but he doesn't know whether to do it. Come home by taxi for 12.15 & feel really tired - glad I didn't go to Wikis after all. Bed immediately.

-==-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 5, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Poor Diana Dors has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Aged 52, she has suffered from cancer. We laz...