20091003

Sunday August 18, 1974






Still at Appletreewick: wake at about 7.30 and we all lay listening to the fading radio until about 9. We make the breakfast which is very apetising and then do the washing up in the river - or perhaps I should say that Marita and I wash up in the river - because the other two refuse to do any chores others than those directly involved in eating. Marita and I decide to go into the Wharfe, which is incredibly cold, and glide down some 'rapids' on her inflated lilo. Sit on the river bank and take photos until nearly 1 o'clock. Back in the tent we all stretch out and listen to Jimmy Savile, singing along to the records of 17 years ago. Begins to rain at 3 - spoiling a beautiful weather record for the weekend. We hurriedly pack up the tent and equipment and flee in a torrential downpour to Ilkley, where we sit in a lousy cafe eating fish and chips. Rain stops as we leave Ilkley and I'm home for 4.30. John is at Andy's discussing buying cars, etc. He rings Mama to say he's staying there to tea. I have a steak and chips, then have a bath and wait in anticipation, fo further developments. Peter Mather rings and asks for John. I tell him to contact him at Andy's. He does. I then ring Denny and Chris to arrange something. Denny goes babysitting at 8 and Chris says he'll be at the Hare quite late on. I walk down on my own to the Hare - picked up by Andy on the way at about 8.30. Nice evening and I sit with David B for most of the time. At 10 o'clock we all move on to the Yorkshire Rose. Chris comes to Pine Tops at 10.30 for coffee and Mama and Papa come home simultaneously. Bed at 12.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday April 20, 1984

 Good Friday Moorhouse Inn, Leeds In days of old I complained , nay played hell, about the archaic licensing laws on this Holy day. Not now....