20091003

Tuesday August 20, 1974


Very warm day but bloody lousy from my point of view. To the YP at 9am - Janice and Carol are both off leaving Kathleen, Sarah and myself. Quite busy.

Going to lunch at 1 o'clock I get something in my eye which iritates me. By 2 the pain is unbearable, and having puchased a £9 postal order I return to the YP and go to the medical room where the little man there gives me an eye-bath - which proves unsuccessful. At 3 I go back to see the little man and he repeats the treatment - which, again, is unsuccessful. Kathleen finally decides to allow me to go to the hospital and I stagger to Leeds Infirmary. A doctor plays around with my eye and pulls out a piece of grit, relieving me of great agonies. I stagger to the bus station where I find consolation in the shape of Susan Bottomley, who joins me on the 35 bus. We discuss nothing in paticular but she tells that June passed her 'A' level and is going to college for certain.

My eye continues to be very painful and I don't intend straining myself any more this evening. I'm about to climb into a hot bath and hope to retire early tonight.

The whole family have been very sympathetic about my tragic disposition and Mama expressed relief I hadn't rung her beforehand because she'd hav been worried sick.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday May 2, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds 11 Mum. To try and keep a journal, run and pub and a baby is asking the impossible. Gone is that old wit and sparkle b...