20110509

Saturday July 24, 1976



Wake up on Peter's floor at 8.30 and Mrs Mather makes me scrambled eggs on toast before Lynne drops me off at home at 9.30. Go into Guiseley this morning with Mum & Dad again. I buy a Yorkshire Post to see if Fred Manby had used the story I suggested to him about Lord David Dundas yesterday, and see that he has. How many times does the son of a marquess appear on 'Top of the Pops'?

See John and Maria who stand with us and chat for 10 minutes or so.

Later: John, Maria, David, Peter, Lynne, &c, gather for a sherry at Pine Tops. Lynne drives Sue, Peter and myself to a pub just outside Ripon where we stop for a drink. Lynne and Dave travelled together of course, and John & Maria go with Mum & Dad. After a drink in this horribly snobby pub John & Maria come with me and Lynne to show us the way to Wath. Alas, David's car broke down 2 miles from Wath but managed to get the car there after about half an hour. The spitfire's been nothing but trouble since John purchased it about 14 months ago.

The dinner was marvellous and the ten of us had a really good laugh. I told a sick joke about poor Lesley Whittle (a girl kidnapped and murdered by the notorious Black Panther) which was received with little pleasure, but otherwise it was a great success. Dinner was only £3.50 per head, and although I paid for Lynne's I still think it was well worth it. Set for home at nearly 12 o'clock after dancing about in the shadows of the George & Dragon car park. Maria and I were penguins, and David did a very good impersonation of an elephant. David abandoned his car near Ripon on the way back and Dad dropped him off at the Dyneley (Arms). Back to Pine Tops for handing over presents and cards to Maria. I promise to buy her something next week and she doesn't seem to mind the delay.

-==-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday April 1, 1984

 4th Sunday in Lent Mothering Sunday New Moon Sunny, bright, &c. Smothering Sunday. All Fool's Day. Busy. Rob came and so too did th...