20090408

Friday April 6, 1973

Got up at 7.30. In the morning mail I got a birthday card from Auntie Hilda, Uncle Tony and the girls. Due to the fact that I am now 18 years-old Auntie Hilda has decided to drop the prefix 'aunt' and be known henceforward as Hilda, a move I find distasteful and unnecessary. My attaining my majority or coming of age is no excuse for her to discard historic etiquette in such a way. I will always call her "Auntie Hilda" whether she likes it or not.

We had a bomb scare at school today. We were congregating in the common-room for a lecture on drugs, when the siren/alarm-bells went off. The whole school met in a conglomorate mass on the soccer field. Very amusing. The whole farce lasted about 35 minutes. Several cop cars came but nothing happened. June had to break off from a Biology CSE exam. Hardly fair is it?

At 3 we began listening to the lecture on drugs. He was a very interesting man from Bradford University and he turned what could easily have been a dreadfully boring lecture into a pleasant and useful talk. Groves seemed most impressed.

June and I stood at my bus stop in Rawdon in a deluge of rain and hail. When we make any attempt to kiss or cuddle up together (mainly as a means of gaining shelter and heat) some filthy van load of workers with full wage packets and grinning faces are halted at the traffic lights and they make rude and generally vulgar remarks from the windows. June thinks it's funny but I find such behaviour crude. I am probably a snob.

Work was uneventful.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday May 6, 1984

 2nd Sunday after Easter Moorhouse Inn, Leeds 11 Dismal. The little warm spell has passed by.That's summer over and done with. Down to t...