20090325

Thursday February 15, 1973

Got up at 7.20. Evidently last night had been the coldest time in Britain since the winter of 1963 which was a very bad year. Went out for the 8.50 bus but it didn't come. Waited in the freezing conditions until 9.05. Arrived at school at 9.25. At the 6th form meeting Katie announced that the 6th form had some spare cash - the majority voted for a carpet for the block. I voted against. After all, in a week or two the thing will be full of cig burns and water-logged with coffee and other light refreshment. I may seem awfully reactionary but I think the money would be better spent on books or working ameneties - not more luxuries! After all this place is like a holiday camp now. God only knows what it will be like with more thick, warm shag-pile to lay on. Geddit!
Mr Ayling pulled me to bits in Economics - I failed to understand the ethics of supply, demand, and price - I think it sank in at the end, but only after hideous humiliation - to the great amusement of the rest of the mob. MM was in hysterics.
Chid (aka Paul Cheetham), Christine B, Louise and myself continue our debate on religion, life, anarchy, etc. Chid certainly is a sorry, sad case!
My Valentine's Day card got to June yesterday afternoon. She was thrilled with it. I do have good taste. We sat together at lunch eating minestrone soup and ogling the delicious recipes in Benita's weekly cookery magazine. We planned an evening out at the Emmotts - my weekly excuse to enjoy myself. At 4.30 June, Linda and myself went down to the bus stop where we each devoured three Cadbury's creme eggs. Chris, Louise and Denise were also waiting in the bleak cold. We all had a laugh. June and I were waving at each other from the usual vantage points as our buses moved off - the others think we are insane.
Home at 5.15. Bacon and eggs for tea. Walked back down Hawksworth Lane and caught the 7.30 bus back to Rawdon. Arrived at the pub at 7.50. June and Linda were inside. Ivy was once again absent. June says the old girl must have been affected by the gas strike. The first of the striking gas men's victims perhaps. Linda thinks the cold weather is keeping her indoors.
Cowie came in ten minutes later. In total I had one and a half pints of beer and a brandy - not much really considering I was there for two and half hours. June is her usual delectible self. She kept apologising for being rude to me. We sat holdings hands. Very romantic. The dreaded______________came in at about 9 o'clock. He had six brandy and sodas. June jokingly said that somone who could afford six brandy and sodas must be a worthy asset. June gave me a ring - an imitation diamond cluster one, with one stone missing. I intend putting it on a chain and wearing it around my neck - and have pledged myself to wear it forever - How romantic get you get!! From the window at about 10 we could see driving snow belting down over Rawdon. But on going out at 10.30 the rain had melted it all.
I bought fish and chips and sat in the bus shelter with June. Linda and Cowie were arguing as usual. June was screaming at Linda when they had to catch the 10.40 bus. We kissed goodbye.
Cowie and I caught the 11.10 bus - I was safely home by 11.45. Mum and Dad were at the Smith's house until 3.30. They are very nice people. Maj. Smith wanted us four to go round, but Mum said we'd all be in bed.

--==--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday May 7, 1984

 Bank Holiday in UK Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Bitterly cold. A bank holiday instituted some years ago by a Labour government. May Day indeed. It ...