20221004

Saturday October 30, 1982

 The phone rang at 10am and I ran downstairs in Ally's dressing gown. It was Graham who told us that Gill had given birth to a son at 3am weighing 7lb. He is to be called Matthew Frank Graham. The first two names after his two grandfathers. Ally came flying down and spoke to her brother, and then we had breakfast. [We didn't get in from Mary's until 1:30am]. I planted tulip bulbs in the garden and then we went to Duckworth Lane where Ally had a sun-ray session. I went to the Co-op and bought a few provisions. I forgot the Tampax. As I was browsing among the frozen peas I reflect that Ally is a fully-fledged aunt today.

Susie and Peter came at 2 with Christopher. She looked a little thin and her eyes are slightly sunken. Over a few drinks Sue says she hasn't suffered a miscarriage, but a molar pregnancy, a hydatidiform mole. The poor girl has been so brave. The doctors say she cannot under any circumstances become pregnant for a year, and she has to have hormone tests at frequent intervals. We were stunned by Sue's news. We sat until after 6. Christopher is a beautiful child, with a fine head of hair, and already standing up on his large feet. John came over [Mum and Dad were in Grassington] and at 7:30 he took us to Morley and a pub called the Half Way House. Margo and friends were making merry. I was already 'half cut'. Back to Margo's until after midnight. Remember nothing. Ally was appalled at the way I [illegible] the young office girls. It was only done in jest. Pauline Atha looked like a Turkish belly dancer. Home late. John went home wearing a jacket which Janette had bought him. He says he's bought the girl a fur.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...