20230128

Thursday February 10, 1983

 Phoned John. He says he will collect us at 7:30-ish tomorrow. He hasn't been in a pub for a week and a half. Janette was bright and cheerful. I hope they are happy.

I have a headache - a rare thing for me. Crumpets and lashings of tea. Ally is going to 'The Fiddler's' at lunchtime because Shirley is off to Ottawa to be a nanny.

A momentous day at the YP. I is rumoured that 18 journalists from across the YP and EP are to be given the chop. We are all summoned to a meeting next Tuesday to discuss the company affairs. Probably 10 per cent redundancies from across the board. I said gleefully that I would willingly go for redundancy. My colleagues were appalled by my flippancy, but of course they have no idea of my plans. Sarah went to pieces and left at 4 looking drawn and tense. Kathleen says she doesn't want me to leave, but knows Ally and I want to work together saying "why don't you get your names down on the waiting list with breweries?" I nearly dissolved. I suppose I should have said.

I am going to keep a list of things that our own 'Mrs Slocombe' is ignorant of. Two weeks ago it was badgers, and today it was Peter Tatchell, the _____ Militant Tendency Labour candidate for Bermondsey. How can someone who regularly indexes the YP not know Peter Tatchell? It terrifies me.

Home with a throbbing head. Ally on the settee with a white face and eyes like saucers. Not feeling too bright. We grovelled on the rug and contemplated food. Is it eggs again or sausages and beans? It's the latter. Ally, though tired, couldn't resist setting about ironing with her usual gusto. This week she must have ironed everything in the house. Afterwards we watched A.J. Cronin's 'The Citadel'.

We have forgotten most birthdays this year. Tomorrow (Uncle) John celebrates in Lanzarote. I do wish we could have remembered that one.

See on the news that a mass murderer in Muswell Hill has shoved sixteen bodies into a sewer outside his home. A proper good old fashioned murder for a change.

Should I be showing some concern for Prince Andrew's leaning towards the affections of buxom tarts? I do hope that the young chap is having a good time and doesn't intend making one the next Duchess of York. Koo Stark isn't bad.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...