20230328

Sunday March 20, 1983

 Passion Sunday

Peter N celebrates his silver jubilee today. I phoned him and he was enthusiastic and pleasant, quite unlike the typical Mr Nason. A rotten day. Ally in a furious, blazing mood that made the going uneven. It was a day of activity. I moved the furniture around in the bedroom and Ally cleaned and polished like a ____. I ran up and down the cellar steps, bottling wine.

King Umberto of Italy has died in Geneva. The Italians have come out of this very badly because he wanted desperately to die on Italian soil, but was prevented from doing so by the constitution. He only lost the 1946 plebiscite by 2,000,000 votes. It was 12m to 10m I think. The Prince and Princess of Wales have arrived in Australia with Prince William. Alighting from the plane blinking in the sunshine. No royal prince has ventured so far from home at such an early age. I am in two minds about it. Australia is renowned for child-killing germs. 

Steak and kidney pudding tonight. We both sat with a drink first to cool off after the trauma of the afternoon. TV dismal. The series about the occupants of No. 10 has been ghastly. Tonight was Disraeli. Totally laughable. I have yet to see a convincing Queen Victoria on TV. To bed at 10 in our new styled bedroom. ______Exceptionally cold. A fight for survival for the hot water bottle. She won.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...