20230330

Thursday March 24, 1983

 More cold and more wet. 

YP abysmal. Carol's penultimate day. Kathleen and Sarah discussing what present to buy Carol. They are going to give her flowers too. Our office is reminiscent of ancient Rome. The machinations. Went out to the building society at lunch time.The balance now stands at £100.30. 

Home to a grumpy Ally who is furious about work and in a temper all night because of it. I phoned a pub at Shipley for a part-time job advertised in the T & A. Phoned Jim Rawnsley who only returned from India yesterday. He will readily give me a reference and told me that he had been told in strictest confidence that certain people at the YP didn't want me to go. He had seen John Thorpe. Good old Jim. I knew he would hate India and he found the food and general poverty something of an ordeal. The remainder of the delegation from Leeds went on to the Taj Mahal but Jim escaped to home after ten days. I phoned a French restaurant who want bar staff. They said I would have to see the manager at 4pm tomorrow. No way. To bed at 10. I look at 'Black Mischief' by Mr Waugh. Don't read much.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...