20230803

Friday May 6, 1983

 A wet start, muggy later, and sunshine at the end. Ally once again had her eggs in bed and I read aloud excerpts of news from the Daily Telegraph. A suit of armour worn by Henri II, King of France, has sold for £1,750,000. The local elections have proved nothing and yet they continue to say that the PM will go to the country in June. The big noises are gathering at Chequers on Sunday supposedly to discuss the details. I wouldn't advise an election before October, or next year.

Ally slept until 11 and I made pancakes for the seafood pancakes for tomorrow's dinner party. We later went to town to buy the food and I was very worried about Ally who looked deathly pale, so much so that I thought she might faint. We went into the cool of the fish market to buy prawns and the smell brought her round. The suspense continues. We spent a fortune on food and I carried it all back on a hot bus at 3:30. I phoned MM to make sure they are coming. He was just washing emulsion paint out of his hair and was in a state of confusion. They are bringing Dave L with them so that the lad can indulge in alcoholic beverages. We dined at 5:30 and Ally threw a ratatouille together (for tomorrow) and the delicious smell drove me wild. Drooling at the mouth. As I write Ally has gathered all the house plants together to water and the kitchen resembles the Guatemalan jungle.

We have been talking about christian names again. Foolish of us at this early stage but it cannot be helped. Ally likes Samuel. Of course I have a cousin, Samuel, in close confinement in a Carlisle institution.

We watched TV and went off to bed after part 4 of a slow thriller which has dragged on for three episodes too many. Watched 'Death of An Expert Witness'. I phoned Peter who was watching TV in solitary. Christopher's hernia operation went off well and the boy was up and playing on the ward this evening though bruised and with stitches. The hernia was bigger than expected.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...