20230809

Monday May 9, 1983

 My alarm went off at 6:44 just like in the days of old __________.

I made eggs and toast. Photographs arrived in the post. The ones I took at the YP on the day I leftt are bad, but I hadn't mastered the instruction leaflet at that stage. 

Pouring rain. Ally went out, and I pleaded with her to take it easy. She spoke to Derek (Jenkins) and told him of her gynaecological condition. She phoned me at lunch from Duckworth Lane. 

Saw Steve O'Connor in the van but he didn't come here. I fear the roof repairs are going to drag on all summer. We have a room full of washing, and I took the iron upstairs and spent three hours like a male Hilda Ogden. The radio informs me that the PM has held an emergency cabinet meeting and has gone to see the Queen. Oh dear. At 2:15 it was announced that Parliament is to be dissolved on Friday and that the general election is to be held on June 9. She (Thatcher) cannot possibly be defeated and certainly Michael Foot is the best opposition leader she could put up against. If she survives until 1988 then she will be the Queen's longest serving prime minister. By June 9 we'll be gaga with all this electioneering. I hope that Foot will live that long. Denis Healey would be a more formidable opponent, but still no match for the divine Margaret.

I came downstairs wilting like one of the daffodils outside now crushed by Steve O'Connor and his broken roof tiles.

Len Fairclough has been remanded on bail for sexually assaulting two eight year-old girls. He will have to be written out of the Coronation Street script.

Retired at 10:15.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...