20230929

Friday September 2, 1983

 Linthorpe Hotel, Middlesbrough

With JT.
Rain. Roy and Marie back. They say they have had no winners at York Races. Roy came into the lounge and shyly thanked me for looking after the place. Later he and Marie spent ages in the office looking at the books making sure we haven't embezzled the weekly takings. They say I was wrong to cash a cheque from Jake ___ but say it's all part of the learning experience. He would like to stop cashing cheques himself and advises me never to start doing it. Jake then came in and gave me a crisp £20 note. I could have kissed him. Roy observed this touching scene and rushed up to Jake and got £5 from a previous debt. As the great bard said: 'Neither a borrower, nor a lender be'. A wild night. Roy was presented with a watch by his devoted staff and after closing Marie prepared a buffet and the the revelry went far into the night. Ally stayed up until late and we took ridiculous photographs. Pissed.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...