20230906

Monday June 20, 1983

 Warm, sticky. Wash day. I went to 'sign on'. A 17 year-old with punk eye make-up tells me they won't pay me for the last week when I was on holiday because I wasn't prepared to return mid-week. I have been unemployed for 10 weeks and haven't received a penny piece. Went to Vicar Lane and got Ally the relevant maternity forms. We are told that Jean Watts is expecting a child in February. Met Ally at 12:30. She was with Patricia. We went to the building society and the bank and then to the Traveller's Rest for a drink and a beef sandwich. (We disposed of Patricia after the bank). Ally looked bonnie and sweet ____. Went to the Co-op and spent a mere £11. Home in a sweat at 2. Is Sir Harold Wilson going to receive an earldom in the prime minister's dissolution honours list? It would be typical of the old boy I must say, and I wouldn't blame him accepting. It would be one in the eye for the lefty element, eh? Earl Wilson of Huyton, KG? The Queen Mother is in Ulster inspecting the TA - it was the lead on the 6 o'clock news and rightly so. Ally was in at 5. Lasagne. She doesn't feel bright tonight and feels nauseated. The heavy Italian nosh cannot help. No TV. Ally reading aloud from her maternity allowance booklet. One needs a degree in gobbledegook. After studying the text she decided she will get a good whack and that by changing jobs she won't be done out of any cash. Mama phoned enquiring after Ally's health. She is sunburned after yesterday and is sore. Dad is painting everything in sight including Pen-y-Ghent by the sound of things. Upstairs at 9:30.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...