20231003

Wednesday October 12, 1983

 The Why Not, Hemlington

The Cheshire Midland.
Up at dawn and out at 9 leaving the cleaners who almost certainly will sit with Tequila Sunrises and Hamlet cigars as our car disappears from view. Down the  M1 and then the M62 to Manchester and to Altrincham, pleasant with posh shops. Hale is nearby. We were impressed by the place. The pub, white and Georgian in appearance sits close to the railway, but is not spoiled by this. It's the type of railway station one sees on old films. You almost expect to see Celia Johnson coming through the mist on the platform. The place was empty at 12 and we sat eyeing the place over. Had delicious beef sandwiches.The pub had been recently decorated and was pleasant. We walked around looking at the shops and then went back to confront the relief manager who took us on a hurried guided tour of the place with another couple who trained at the Cambridge. At 3 we went away impressed and called on Dave G and Lily at Edgeley (10 miles away). Dave was of course in bed but came down when he heard our voices. They think that if we're taking £3,000 a week at the Why Not then it's busy. We left Stockport at 5 and got to Middlesbrough for 7. Brenda and Jeannie were in the bar. No incidents. I went upstairs at 10, and later some CID chaps collared me when I came down to eject everyone at 10:40. They had been in the pub watching, and the bar staff had not rung 'time'. One copper, Emmerson I think, accused me of trying to hide something when I went to close the curtains. 'The only thing I'm hiding is the windows', said I. Pigs. They say they will inform the brewery
. Picking on me because of my youth. Ally was very upset.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...