20240130

Tuesday February 28, 1984

 7 o'clock start. Down to the cellar to splash around and prepare for the dray delivery. At breakfast my boiled egg was bad and Ally immediately offered me hers. 'Greater Love Hath No Woman' &c. The phone trilled. It was Jane, our new recruit, who says she has a 'bug' and  cannot work tonight, but will be back on Sunday. Oh dear. I do hope she isn't going to be 'one of those'. The dray came at 10 and they went away leaving me short of two bottles of spirits. I was annoyed with myself for allowing this to happen and it will play havoc with the stocktake on Thursday. 

Ally went off shopping and I entertained Samuel. He is a tremedous little character. His eyes followed me around the room. So sturdy too. I am proud and thankful. I will phone the vicar soon to arrange a christening. He's the Rev Terry Munro. Ally says Terry is an unlikely name for a man of the cloth. The snob in me says Terry is more suited to the likes of a bricklayer. 

Harold: another war.
Dear 'Supermac' graces page one of the Daily Telegraph arriving at the House of Lords yesterday for a dress rehearsal for his introduction to the upper house. The last such 'do' for a newly ennobled earl was that following Lord Snowdon's elevation in 1961 - when Harold was PM. I can never remember whether the last earldom to be created was Snowdon or Avon.

Chicken and Yorkshire puds at 4. Watched on by Samuel in his chair. What a pampered pet he is. He whimperes to be picked up and lays placidly in my arms as I go from room to room. He loves bodily contact. 

Worked with Maureen (McNicol). It was dead. An old boy called Harold (born in 1911) told me that we need another war to put the country back on its feet. I hate that sort of talk. I went upstairs at 11 to find Ally and Samuel asleep. I did the tills. Vanham, my old maths teacher, would be proud of me. 

Takings: (B) £121.65, (L) £80.26.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...