_. Snow appeared but rain soon followed to make it disappear. Two phone calls of varying importance. Ally phoned after lunch with some sombre news about her car. The repairs amount to £60 and the machine requires a further fortune spending on an exhaust and numerous other odds and ends. She says that when she went to bed on Sunday night she went into a deep sleep, failed to hear her alarm clock, and woke at 4:40pm on Monday! She does not appreciate my concern and says I am overwrought. The poor girl is now financially ruined and things look very bleak.
The next phone call came this evening and was from Dave L. He wants a copy of an old Sunday Observer magazine. I explained the chances of me laying hands on a copy are slim. He chatted about MM and Marita and concluded somewhat teasingly that he has news which he cannot possibly repeat.
'Is it about them getting married'? I enquired. 'Yes', he replied: 'Who told you'? I laughed and answered: 'You did of course, just now.' I'd tricked it out of him. Oh, we did laugh. How cunning of me. The wedding, he says, is to take place on December 8, in Rawdon.
-=-
The journal of a Yorkshire lad from the age of 17 in 1973 through several decades .... Transcribing from handwritten volume to blog may take some time ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday March 13, 1987
Moorhouse Inn, Leeds LS11 5NQ Saw Caroline again. She handed me a flimsy garment for my 'Tarzan act' tomorrow. Bloody hell, I take ...
-
Moorhouse Inn, Leeds LS11 5NQ Stock take at 10am. A £30 deficit. No staff. Sir John Colville's book came in the post, and I flicked thr...
-
Moorhouse Inn, Leeds LS11 5NQ Bank Holiday in Scotland Dad enters the 54th year of his age looking well, with fresh complexion, but almost ...
No comments:
Post a Comment