20200407

Monday January 7, 1980

_. One of the 'weedier' daily newspapers reports that the Prince of Wales is entertaining Lady Amanda Knatchbull at Sandringham. More like Lady Amanda Red-Herring-Knatchbull. She is not pretty enough to be wife of the heir to the throne. Her nose too long and her teeth too pronounced, nothing hideous, but just not good enough. Lady Amanda is a close relative of HRH and I will repeat my previous statement that the couple are nothing but friends, with a 'brother and sister' affection for each other. Should Lady Amanda, or any other Knatchbull, become Prince Charles's wife I'll eat my continental quilt.

A dismal day at the YP. I did not hear from Ally, but despatched a letter in her direction.

Can I say something about Mrs Indira Gandhi? This sweet little Indian lady has seized India by the throat again, but this time she will not release her grip so easily. The papers talk about the 'tyrannical' Mrs Gandhi but I have nothing but admiration for her. She has restricted the activities of the Press and has jailed all her political opponents as any self respecting eastern prime minister would do.

Glynnie phoned. He's off at the weekend and wants to know if I can join him. It would be financial suicide.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...