20200909

Monday January 5, 1981

 _.The Yorkshire Ripper [Peter William Sutcliffe, born June 2, 1945], a Bradford man, was charged, at Dewsbury police station, with Jacqueline Hill's murder this evening. A mob exceeding 2,000 thronged the streets shouting abuse, and behaving likes wolves. It hasn't sunk in yet. Quite amazing. The Ripper has been at the forefront of our lives, hanging over our every move, since '75, and now we know he's a 'respectable' chap from the Bradford suburb of Heaton who wouldn't say 'boo to a goose'. Jim Rawnsley reckons that Mrs Ripper will easily make £250,000 out of the case. Obviously, Sutcliffe isn't an engineer with a Tyneside accent, and neither does he stutter or have a gap in his front teeth. I imagine George Oldfield will be having a skinful tonight. Busy day at the YP, naturally. Home at 6.

Stick photos into my new album. John and Maria walked round from Ridgeway at 9 and sat until 1am. Mum departed suddenly to her chambers at 11. Maria informed me that an 'old style' gathering is taking place at the Hare & Hounds tomorrow at which my presence is a necessity. I've no money, but agreed to go.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...