20200909

Tuesday January 6, 1981

 _. Epiphany. New Moon.

Rain and snow. Took Thomas Hardy back to the Central Library. I just have not had time to look at him.

Phoned Ally. She agreed to come over tonight. She bought new trousers and a pullover today. The girl's a spendthrift. Phoned Dave L at 7. He's a bit of fun. Ally came clad in blue at 8 and by 8:30 we were in the Fox & Hounds. Bumped int George Waite, and he stayed with us for the evening. He is a lecherous bounder. _____. Ally was Little Red Riding Hood to George's wolf. Or was it a fox?

Saw Jim and Margaret with Julie celebrating her 17th birthday. Bought the girl a drink. Jim's eyes lit up when I told him I have a photostat of [Peter] Sutcliffe showing him sat at the wheel of his lorry. He'll see it on Thursday. 

On to the Hare. John, Maria, Dave L, Christine Dibb, Graham Airey, Chris Rat, Pete Mather, Carol Smith and husband, Andy and Linda Graham, &c. A pleasant chat with old friends over a few pints..... Or that's how it should have been. Ally and I then went to Ridgeway with John and Maria until 1.

In bed tonight I proposed marriage to Ally. This isn't a new thing. We take it in turns to spasmodically propose marriage to each other, but tonight was quite the most serious attempt to date. I was accepted and now the only thing to do is decide upon a date. June is nice.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...