20200907

Thursday January 1, 1981

 _. Michael Lawrence Rhodes: age 25 years, 8 months, and 26 days.

Bank Holiday in UK, Republic of Ireland, USA & Canada.

Woke up at some point in the morning still wearing my Tudor regalia, and chain of office. Dreadful, really dreadful. I have never seen Ally look so ghastly.

At 1:30 we walked in the sun to the Plough to join Graham and Gill, who were with Midge, Mel and Barbara. Mel was very drunk and he went on and on singing the praises of Margaret Thatcher. 'Our greatest leader since Churchill, or maybe even Queen Elizabeth I'. Ally, looking like death, didn't drink.

Midge, the beleaguered landlady told me I was a very good looking Henry VIII, but was most peturbed, and still reeling from the dressing down I gave her last night. Evidently I commanded her presence in the dining room to inform her that the salmon mousse wasn't up to standard.

Back to Chillandham Cross. Had roast lamb for lunch, but brought it all back two hours later. Watched 'Great Expectations' on the BBC and left at 7:30 during 'Dr Zhivago'. A hideous journey home, without a break, and back to Pine Tops for 11. To bed exhausted. 

Oh yes, a Happy New Year, to all my readers.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...