20201005

Monday January 12, 1981

 _. I am cultivating something closely resembling a beard, and although many people fall about laughing at it, I think Ally likes it, and is happy, and the more they mock it, the more I shall grow it, or attempt to grow it, because I'm driven on by comment. At least people are noticing me.

Royal news: The Daily Mail reports that Lady Diana [Spencer] with her sisters and father will be spending next weekend at Sandringham. If this is so then it could have very exciting possibilities. The more I see of Lady D the more I realise she is the girl to be Queen.

Prince Welf Ernst of Hanover, a nephew of the Duke of Edinburgh, and contemporary of the Prince of Wales at Gordonstoun has died suddenly in India, whilst playing karate, aged 33. He has been cremated on the banks of the Ganges in a Hindhu ceremony. Queen Victoria was very fond of Indians, and one, whose name escapes me, rose to be a private secretary and wielded great power over her.

Freezing rain today. Ally's car wouldn't start so she dumped it until this evening and collected it when she came to dinner at 6. I went with Dave G to Leeds and saw him off back to Stockport. We are thinking about Grassington in February.

Poor Dad is working a 12 hour shift from 6am tomorrow, guarding prisoners at Otley. Mum loathes his lengthy absences. Ally and I had a candlelit dinner, and later she went off to Club Street. I hate the Citroen for it's constant indecision. Saw TV. 'The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes' until 11:30. To bed.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...