20201008

Sunday January 18, 1981

 _. 2nd Sunday after Epiphany

Up at 11. We headed out to see the Stonehouse Inn with Mum, Dad, Sue, Pete, Margaret, Jim and Julie. We drove there and looked at it without going on [it wasn't the time to do so with Margaret]. I can picture it renovated, nestling there in the sun surrounded by umbrellas, bustling with hikers. I pray this will come off for Mum and Dad. To the Miner's Arms for lunch. Bleak, and pouring rain. I stopped for a wee in a field on the way back and we lost the others. We returned home via Leathley, Farnley, &c. 

Back at Pine Tops Ally and I were interrogated mercilessly by the party re a possible wedding. Little do they know. One particular 'hairy' incident was when Jim and Margaret were discussing their pearl wedding anniversary, on June 30. Without thinking I immediately said that June 30 is a Tuesday. Jim's eyes glistened. He leapt upon it. Why have I been looking at the June '81 calendar?

Dad breathalysed all the party, just by way of a joke. I blew an alcohol-free bag as if I hadn't had a drop all day.

Tonight a momentous decision was made. The party disbanded at 9 and Mum and Dad retired at 10:30 and Ally and I took out a diary and decided to marry on June 27 at Esholt [my parish] because she doesn't like the look of Lidget Abbey [sic]. On January 30-31 we are going to Hampshire to seek parental approval and on Saturday February 7 we will go public. I'll tell Mum and Dad immediately on our return from Hampshire. How's that?

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...