20201218

Tuesday March 24, 1981

 _. Wet at times but warmer. The temperature in Leeds hit 54 degrees. My alarm rang at 6:50 but I remained stubbornly beneath my duvet until 7:15. Bone idle today. 

The YP is dreadful with the chief back. One has to be forever looking for work, and after eight hours this becomes somewhat trying. Sarah has arranged a swimming party for tomorrow and I made no escape to avoid it. Sarah says swimming is good for the stomach muscles, and I am certainly in need of some treatment in that area. [Please do not assume that I am in any way on the large side. I am six feet tall, almost 26 years old, and still under 12 stones in weight. That's good, isn't it?]

Kathleen, looking at photos of Lady Diana, says she disapproves of the lightweight Christian name, and that the future Queen should fall back on her middle name when Queen, and be Queen Frances. How ludicrous. Diana is a fine name.

Phoned Ally several times and she came for tea at 6. I ate like a horse because I hadn't eaten all day, and to make matters worse Felicity McCormick had delayed my exit from the office until 5:20 because of the Hollis Affair. She wanted my imput because Sir Roger Hollis claimed descent from Tsar Peter the Great. Hollis's brother Christopher was a Tory MP who spoke in the House frequently on the dangers of Russia and it's increasing strangle-hold on Europe. I do not agree with character assassinations where the alleged criminal is long dead and gone. Hollis cannot defend his name. This Chapman Pincher is a rogue. He also claims that the homosexual Tom Driberg [later Lord Bradwell] was a KGB agent too. 

After tea we sat before a smouldering TV. Alan Ladd in a film from 1953. Ally knitting solidly for three hours again. She and Mum did a lot of giggling. Mum kissed me at bedtime. She seldom kisses. I won't be seeing her again until Sunday night. I have left a Mothering Sunday gift with Papa. To bed after 12.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...