20210222

Thursday August 20, 1981

 _. Brought back to consciousness by the drone of the radio alarm at 6:30. Putting my head under the pillow as the BBC informed us that President Reagan has shot down a ghastly Lebanese aircraft [Oops] I of course mean a ghastly Libyan aircraft. I sincerely apologise to all Lebanese followers of this journal. In other news, the railwaymen are to strike and today sees the Fermanagh and South Tyrone by-election. Obviously, another IRA hunger striker will be elected. 

Had a very large breakfast and left my gurning wife at the door. YP dull. Kathleen went home at 12.

Phoned Mama. She spent yesterday afternoon in Masham. They've booked a coach tour with Wallace Arnold to Alassio in Italy for two weeks from September 20. They haven't had a foreign holiday since Spain in '74. The warm Italian climate will do them good. I told her the sad news that her friend, the landlady of the Miner's Arms at Greenhow, has been killed in a car accident. She told me that Mr Bradbury from the White Cross Post Office is dead and was buried yesterday.

Had two phone conversations with Ally who laughed hysterically throughout both, for some reason. Derek Jenkins was the cause of much of her merriment.

Ban smoking on buses.
I'm slowly becoming sick and tired of the typical British bus passenger. I always make for the upper deck and wherever possible I throw open all the windows for some fresh air on my tortuous journey to Bradford. The majority of my other passengers are invariably over dressed. They nearly always close the windows and then proceed to set fire to the roll of tobacco hanging from their nicotine stained lips. I now know why Lidget Green cemetery is so full of young corpses. Smoking should be banned in all public places. Surely this seemingly ridiculous move will improve the collective health of our nation? Bloody Hell. If they don't kill themselves they're going to kill me. The fumes this evening were unbearable.

Home at 6. Ally was waiting for me in a white shirt. Red lips. Tomato soup, then liver and onions. An evening of tranquil domesticity reading. I'm on with Antonia Fraser's Charles II, and Ally is 37 pages into Queen Victoria's correspondence with her granddaughter Victoria of Hesse [later Marchioness of Milford Haven] by Richard Hough.

Some old crone by the name of Jessie Matthews has died in Pinner. I can't see what all the fuss is about. I don't think she's done anything since 1923.

-=-




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...