20210327

Thursday November 12, 1981

 _. We have been married for 138 days today. A wonderful compatible pair. And I'm not bad either. 

A cold, frosty morn. Busy at the YP. Kathleen is laid up with workitis, and Sarah decided to take a half-day to buy furniture. Just 'Mrs Slocombe' and I, and the phone rang like Hell all day. 

The Prince and Princess of Wales visited York and Chesterfield today . Vast crowds turned out to see the princess who, according to reports, looked pale and uneasy. 80,000 people gathered in Chesterfield Market place.

A tortuous journey home this evening. Three different buses. I deserve the Royal Victorian Chain, or something.

Ally spent the evening working out our finances, or lack of them. She likes nothing better than sitting cross-legged on the floor surrounded by bills and long dormant cheque book stubs. She took my wallet and removed all the notes from it. Whenever I have cash it is soon cruelly taken from me.

Phoned Dave G at 8. Confirm our visit for Dec 12. Garry, he says, is being made redundant on Dec 18. Poor bugger. Always impassive and without expression, I wonder how long his face is now?

I have just taken up the journal of Barclay Fox, a Cornish Quaker, who kept a diary from 1832 to 1844. Very amusing and interesting because I recall many of the places mentioned from our Cornish holidays 1969, 1970 and 1971.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...