20210419

Thursday November 26, 1981

 _. Thanksgiving Day, USA.   New Moon.

Last night I shaved off my so-called beard which has adorned my adonis features since Sept-Oct. I have a feeling I last shaved on the morning of Jill and Tim's wedding. As you know I am a feeble grower of facial hair. My legs are like young and vigorous forests, but alas from the waist up I'm a desert.

YP quite pleasant.My two tips to Bob are in today's paper. 

Out at 12 to have a short haircut at Fred's on Boar Lane. I then walked around town killing time and met Ally at 2. We arranged to meet outside a sweet shop and she caught me devouring a packet of Rolos. We went to Kirkgate market and bought a rabbit and enough veg for a harvest festival. We bought JPH a toy in Boots. By 4 it was dark and cold and so we headed for home. 

We had fish and chips and went to Guiseley for 7:30 to see Mummy and Daddy. He is much improved, but cannot return to work for another week. Jim and Margaret arrived at 9, and we left at 11:30. Ally tottered up to bed and I sat and watched the results of the Crosby by-election. Shirley Vivien Teresa Brittain Williams, PC is elected to serve as an SDP MP with a 5,000 majority. In 1979 the Tories held the seat with a 19,000 majority and so it's a major, disastrous juxtaposition. However, a similar phenomenon occurred at Orpington in 1962 when Eric Lubbock [now Lord Avebury] snatched the constituency for the Liberals. Is the SDP here to stay, or is it a flash in the pan? 1984 will reveal all.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...