20220214

Sunday April 25, 1982

 2nd Sunday after Easter

Sun. Ally and I took a full-English breakfast but Ally didn't enjoy it and looked peeved. _________.

Phoned Susie & Peter. Marlene and Frank are visiting them today to inspect Christopher. I asked whether the baby had started school yet. Mum phoned. A naval officer from a polaris submarine has shown interest in buying Pine Tops. He visited this afternoon. Guiseley is hardly a searfaring town.

The Royal Marines [1982]
I went out and planted plants in the garden. Ally cleaned out the cellar. The TV was dominated by newsflashes throughout the day. The Royal Marines have landed on South Georgia and captured it back from the Argentinians. The announcement came at about 8pm as we were watching a delightful girl on BBC2 playing Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, and the emotion was just too much. I went upstairs and put on my Union Jack underpants. This is something I have never experienced in my lifetime. Naval battles have always been part of history. Mrs Thatcher looked defiant and very 'Winston Churchill' on her doorstep at No 10 Downing St. The Queen received the PM in audience at Windsor this afternoon. The woman must be worried sick about Andrew.

Mum phoned again to give a report on the Polaris submarine gentleman. Bed late after a Falklands special on BBC2.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...