20220624

Thursday July 22, 1982

St Paul's House.
 Felt dreadful all day and on the verge of collapse. The alarm clock in John's room didn't function and yet I managed to wake up at 7. Walked around the house like something from a Peter Cushing Hammer film. John similarly incapacitated. Ally and I walked down the lane at 7:30 and straight away she got a bus to Bradford. I walked to the Station Hotel and got a 33 [bus]. Leeds at 9. Grew streadily worse through the day, sat with my head hanging. At lunchtime I forced myself to go find Silvio's confectioners and spent the best part of 90p on two sandwiches. I sat on a bench in Park Square eating salmon and cucumber sandwiches and admiring St Paul's House. Taking deep breaths I made my way back to the YP. Dissipation does one no good.

At home Ally was white and preparing food with heavy eyes. She also had to go out and eat at lunchtime. We had salad sandwiches and poached eggs. Bessie phoned. Bed with books. Difficulty sleeping - typical after the exhaustion of the day.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...