20220819

Saturday September 25, 1982

 Sun. John's twenty sixth birthday. We slept until noon and sat wearily over scrambled eggs. A black, shiny, Ford Capri 1600L pulled up, and out leapt John, beaming, with Janette. ___________.

We went to the 'Mucky Duck' for a few drinks and then into Bradford where Ally and I bought John a couple of tapes for his birthday - ABC and REO Speedwagon. Janette bought a bottle of Gordon's gin and I provided the lemons. Back to the house. They went to bed until 6:30. Ally and I drank gin and whispered. Later we took them to Giuseppe's Backyard for pizzas [£12 on my Barclaycard]. I had to be very sharp to stop Janette paying. On to Guiseley and we met the others at the Station Hotel. Sampled 'Guiseley Gyle'. Lynn was frosty with John because he hadn't been to see Mum on his birthday, and persuaded him to phone, but when he did he woke all the babies. We were all tanked up and feeling lethargic. Janette was drinking Creme de Menthe, and John, at my persuasion, switched from pints of ale to Campari and soda. Saw Gus and had one of our Monty Python-type conversations. Pissed. John looked shocking. He drove us home to Bradford where we had another gin and tonic. A record session.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...