20220817

Tuesday September 21, 1982

 A dark, wet morning. Ally was gleefully splashing in the bath and her cheerfulness brought me round. She scampered off to work at 8:15 and I spent the day hanging green wallpaper. I nipped into Bradford this morning and bought another roll of paper and a tin of gloss. Back to it. Didn't break off until nearly 6. I'm sick of the smell of gloss paint and paste. Ally phoned a few times but it was always when I was at a crucial point on a ladder, and so the chat was brief. Listening to the radio all day almost drove me around the bend. Do you think that perhaps all radio DJ's are gay?

Ally was home at 5:30 beaming at me through the kitchen window. We ate liver and onions, but I was hungry afterwards. I must be all the hard work I'm doing. Sat shivering with cold until 10 because we had all the windows wide open to allow the apple white gloss to dry. Ally sat looking through cookery books, a favourite pastime. Deciding on the menu for Friday when Mum and Dad come to dinner. We made pancakes [for the seafood pancakes] and watched an Agatha Christie play. Bessie phoned with woeful tales of her sisters. Hilda [the younger of the two surviving sisters], seems to be dying of cancer, and Joan [the elder]  has just spent two weeks down in Hampshire ________. Bed at 10:30.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...