20220829

Wednesday October 13, 1982

 Dark morning. To Leeds after boiled eggs for breakfast and a few snatches of conversation with Ally. We are buying books on the scale of a major city library. I want the diaries of Harold Nicolson, Evelyn Waugh, Noel Coward, Beatrice Webb, &c. I have been in Austick's looking at published diaries. Diarists always come across as pompous, and nearly all are shatteringly world famous. Is it silly of me to keep a journal? OK, I don't take lunch at my club with the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, or dine with the Duchess of Windsor at Maxim's, but I do make a contribution, don't I? 

Mum phoned. Dr Glass saw Susan. ____________. The Stockport trip is still on , but it doesn't look good. Ally phoned me this afternoon. Quest Travel cannot give us a flight to Lanzarote on Dec 2, but can do one for the same price on Nov 18. £115 each isn't bad. 

Home to Ally and mince and dumplings. 

Prince Andrew flew back from Mustique [illegible] very much like the Queen as he left the plane. That same fixed, nervous expression. Koo [Stark] has gone on to St Lucia. It is reported that HM paid for the tickets and is very aware of Miss Stark's naughty films. Our sovereign is very broad minded. I bet she's been watching 'Emily' on the little cinema at Sandringham.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...