20230104

Tuesday January 25, 1983

My grandfather was born 82 years ago today. He always believed he was born the day Queen Victoria died. He was wrong. I've probably told you this before.

No Kathleen at the YP today. She is burying her 'senior' aunt. It was a good day for it. I went out at lunchtime for my daily constitutional in Park Square. A chimney on St Paul's House blew off in the gales last month.

Phoned Ally. She posted our application form to Chef & Brewer at Hipperholme. Such fun. I was at work feeling refreshed and full of glee at the thought of escape. Like a light at the end of the tunnel. Left at 4:15 in daylight and stood for half an hour waiting for a bloody 72 bus which defeated the whole object of my leaving early.

Mum had made chicken stew. They looked at our recent photographs (just arrived). Some good ones of Frances in her red woolly dress.

Ally's cold has worsened and at 8:30 I packed her off to bed with orange juice and paracetamol tablets. I finish S. Birmingham's biography of the Duchess of Windsor. Watched 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon' and Russell Harty at a Burn's Night party which was flat as a fart. Dad and I sat pulling it to pieces. Watched the news. We are in the middle of a national water strike, you know. A first. What did Marie Antoinette say? 'Let them drink Coke'. Bed at 11. Ally hot and asleep.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...