20230104

Wednesday January 26, 1983

 A Spring-like day. I do not think that winter is going to materialise this year. Up at 6:30. The traffic outside acts as an alarm clock. Poor Ally is streaming and so confined to barracks. Boiled eggs and toast. Kisses goodbye at 8. I could have given it a miss myself. Bookless to the YP. 

News: 73,000,000 people are having to boil water. President Reagan is the most unpopular president since Jimmy Carter. Princess Margaret is in love with a spotty, teenage ballet dancer. Lord Citrine, who led the TUC back in Neolithic times has died at the age of 95.

Fresh air in the park. Phoned Ally who is missing me. She went back to bed with her book. Mum and Dad were up and off at 9:30. I hid behind a filing cabinet until it was decently possible to make good my escape.

Lasagne with Ally. ___________. She went to bed after Coronation Street and I sat alone. (Mum and Dad were dining with Sue and Pete and going to John's afterwards). 

At 8:10 watched a programme about exiled royalty with Anthony Holden, biographer of the Prince of Wales. He interviewed King Umberto of Italy, who looked ghastly, and a 'Scottish sociologist' Princess Margarita of Rumania, who is 50th in line to the British throne and a goddaughter of the Duke of Edinburgh. She somewhat shyly said she calls the Queen 'Aunt Lilibet', and then promptly changed the subject. 

To avoid Michael Foot and a Labour party political broadcast I went up to bed at 9 and found Ally gasping and sweating. I turned off our bedroom radiator and cheered her up and she is dangling her hot legs on me as I write this. _____________. Found an Alastair Maclean book that I didn't know I had.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...