20230819

Saturday May 21, 1983


 Alison Mary's 25th anniversary today. A peaceful, happy and contented day. Ally opened her presents and birthday cards in bed. Mum has sent her a fiver and Bessie £10. John and Janette had left her a box of chocolates, and I handed over my little bundle of gifts. She especially liked the baby book and sat reading about diet in pregnancy and morning sickness, &c. We work out on a chart that the baby is due at Epiphany as we surmised. Mum and Dad phoned with a singing telegram, and so did Lynn and Frances later. Lynn says Frances has been singing 'happy birthday to you' all day.

We had eggs and bacon and went into town at 12:30 where we went, unashamedly, into Mothercare to inspect cots and prams. To the Berni Inn at 2 for rump steak and all for £11.88 - very reasonable. We then went to the market and returned home at 4:30. Ally was done in and took to her bed for a couple of hours. I sat reading about babies. I intend to become a very good amateur gynaecologist. The evening brightened up and I sat quite alone outside admiring Miss Whincup's geraniums. She had me over to mend the flex on her kettle yesterday afternoon, and I did it too. Ally was back downstairs at 8 and we had coffee. She's had a quiet birthday but a joyful one. It's the first such anniversary we haven't celebrated with an orgy since she moved back to Yorkshire four years ago.

Watched 'Dynasty', and Ally went back to bed with profuse apologies. I watched a dismal film and went up at 1. (Bessie phoned at 11pm from Windermere, where they are staying with Barbara and Frank Makin, and I roused Ally to speak to her. They were in a jolly mood. Ally told her Mum our news and they were delighted. Frank sounded thrilled. Squeals of delight down the phone.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...