20230928

Friday August 26, 1983

 Linthorpe Hotel, Middlesbrough

Back to Middlesbrough. Both of us feeling knackered. Great difficulty keeping awake on the 125MPH high speed London to Edinburgh express. To the Linthorpe for 9:30 and up to our room with cups of tea. A pack of new photos await us. I told Marie we'd visited the Red Lion and she said that from the hundreds of couples who passed through the Linthorpe training only two couples, the Willses being one, have failed to keep contact with them. I thought from the tone of the conversation yesterday that they didn't think much of Roy & Marie. Tonight at 11:30 Ally went up to bed after one drink and I sat at the bar with the mob. Old Mags was in stitches. Discussed genealogy with Peter and Kieran and the fallacy that all commoners are descended from Edward III. Horribly pissed. I couldn't escape from the bar and everyone bought me booze as I tried to escape upstairs. Marie informed me that I am to be left in charge for two days next week. Gulp. Roy was pissed and drinking gin and bitter lemon. We argued about Middlesbrough FC. I know as much about Middlesbrough FC as I do about the genetic construction of the male reproductive cells. When Roy took up the microphone and started singing 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' I knew it was time for bed and went upstairs after falling over the ironing board. Ally was fuming like Mount Etna.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...